Monday, June 04, 2007

A belated post for Blogging for LGBT Families Day

Well here in the GusBus household we missed Blogging for LGBT Families Day, so we're just catching up now. We were in Niagara Falls, Ontario for Mama's birthday weekend and just returned today. Pictures will be posted shortly :) Regarding LGBT families, I think that I'm a pretty lucky little guy to have two Moms. I call both of them Mama right now, and thats fine with them. For the most part my family is treated well where we live and both my moms are seen as equal parents. Things do occasionally happen though that make me sad. For example, today when we were returning flying home we were in the Buffalo, NY airport flying Southwest. My moms and my Nonna and I were in the pre-board line waiting to get on the plane (this was my 22nd flight can you believe it?) and the gate attendant came over to my family and asked who was preboarding. My Mommy said we all were. The gate attendant said only Mom and Dad can preboard, and Mommy said well we are both moms- pointing to Mama and herself. The gate attendant said, "Only the baby's Mom can preboard." ?!?!? Mommy had to further clarify what "WE ARE BOTH MOMS" meant by saying- We are both HIS moms. UGH. And to top it all off, poor Nonna still couldn't come with us. The gate attendant then went to all the other families in line behind us and said, "Only Mom and Dad can board." Not changing her language at all, even after talking with us. So, while things are mostly good for such a cute little guy, I think that a lot of improvement is needed still regarding the status of my family.

No comments:

 
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED- ALL PHOTOS AND TEXT COPYRIGHTED AND MAY NOT BE DUPLICATED OR USED WITHOUT PERMISSION